Search This Blog

A dose of inspiration

"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." - Carl Bard


"We tend to forget that happiness doesn't come as a result of getting something that we don't have, but rather of recognizing and appreciating what we do have. " - Frederick Keonig


"Stress is the trash of modern life- we all generate it but if you don't dispose of it properly, it will pile up and overtake your life." -Terri Guillemets
























Thursday, July 8, 2010

The Beginning

Where do you begin when you want to start something totally new? You've always wanted to do something, like get into a new career, move across the country, start a new hobby, go back to school, etc. For me, the new beginning is developing my own private practice as a therapist. It is something I have always wanted to do--I mean think of the freedom and flexibility that comes with working for yourself! It comes with a lot of responsibility, of course, but this new chapter in my life has been a long time coming. I'm entering it with excitement, passion for helping people, enthusiasm, creative juices flowing, and many questions about how it will go. I've learned though, in the past few years, that when you really want to do something, you have to just start somewhere. It may sound really simplistic, but the starting is often the most difficult part. It takes one step at a time to reach our goals. Baby steps sometimes. But once you begin to accomplish those little goals and get that sense of satisfaction and joy that comes from seeing your hard work and dreams come to fruition, it ignites a fire in you that leads the way for continued steps and achievements. It's the challenges that you overcome and the fears that you face that bring you the most happiness, confidence, and sense of accomplishment. Isn't that what life is all about?


Having received my Masters in Counseling 10 years ago, I thought I would be licensed and working for myself several years ago. I suppose I had many goals to achieve and dreams to bring to life, so my professional goals took a backseat to my personal goals. I had always wanted to live somewhere that was warm and sunny most days with the ability to be outside almost any day of the year, rather than stuck in the rain, snow, and cold weather that I experienced for most of my life in New Jersey. In 2004, I finally built up the courage to make the big move across the country to (usually sunny but not so much this week) San Diego. Along with this great move and ability for a fresh start in an amazing new city, I ended up a few steps behind in my career. Many obstacles were thrown in my way, as I had to repeat many hours of supervised experience that I had already done in NJ, as well as take additional classes to meet the requirements of California. This was a long and expensive road that I traveled down, but rest assured, it has helped me to prepare for the new big step in my life and career, private practice. I have also learned along this long and often bumpy road, that it is the most difficult of circumstances that have made me into who I am today. It has given me the confidence to continue on toward my goals, rather than turning around and going in a different direction. It has made me stronger and tougher and ready to face the challenges ahead.


With all of that said, I hope that I can assist others in overcoming challenges, leaping over obstacles rather than tripping and falling on them, and making their dreams come true. I'm confident that I can help others to identify whatever is getting in their way and help them to work through those issues, whether it is relationship problems, depression, anxiety, feeling overwhelmed with stress, having trouble starting on their goals, or whatever it may be. I have also learned that it is very important to appreciate the little things and feel grateful for what we have---I have always wanted an ocean-view office and now I have an ocean view blog, so that is a start, right?! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment